Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Busy Little Bee...

The title says it all. I have been working my ass off, writing 'round the clock in order to finish "Always and Never" so I can have a rough outline of my new Hartley story but to be honest, Getting Over Edie has a whole chapter nearly finished. I guess it's because this story has been mulling around my brain for nearly a year. Actually, the characters have.

So, as promised I have an excerpt from the second Always and Never chapter. I chose a random part because I don't want to give away much. There is a LOT that happens and I don't want to spoil the goodness. I'm nearly finished with it, but again I won't say exactly when I'll be posting.

“What are you going to do?”

Rachel sighed. The million dollar question. “Close my eyes and wish it all away?”

“Sorry, Mami” Lucia said, shaking her head. “You don’t get away that easily.”

“I know,” she groaned. “I made my bed and now I have to lie in it. But I don’t know if I can.”

“What, give him up? Why not?”

She couldn’t explain it, her reasons for sticking around. To an outside person, it wouldn’t make sense, staying in a relationship that wasn’t really much of a relationship at all. To Rachel, it was better than the alternative, facing the encompassing loneliness that surrounded her almost daily. To say it aloud would force her to admit defeat, to acknowledge she made a terrible mistake, and that she never could handle the challenge of making Brendan love her. “It’s…it’s complicated.”

Lucia shook her head. “No, it’s not. It only seems that way because you already know the answer. You already know what you have to do Rach.” She sighed. “I just wish you could see how much more you deserve than Brendan Doyle.”

Rachel sighed, running an errant hand through her ebony locks before swooping the dark mass into a high ponytail, securing it with the black band on her wrist. “I know, Luce. I can’t make him love me. And I can’t make him leave his wife. I just wish this shit wouldn’t hurt. I ache. My heart literally hurts with every beat.”

“I know Mami,” she replied. “Now just imagine how it would hurt even more to stay in this mess. Trust me, you don’t need him.”


Oh Rachel. She's such a fragile character. Again, not going to get spoilerific but I will say this...when God closes a door, it's cause a window's about to open.

Anywho, better get back to work. On second thought...I think I've slept a total of four hours in the past two days. It might be time to fix that.

Until next time!

--S

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

when do you think you'll post your story on Lit?

S. Hawthorne said...

Hey There anonymous,

Sienna here. I'm nearly finished writing the story. I just want to tighten some things up. I should be finished completely by Monday and will probably submit it then.

Anonymous said...

anxiously awaiting the day....